Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Congratulations!

Dude I can't hear the ringing in my ears because my head is spinning. Audiophiles are fricken insane!

Mine is a 1963 Plymouth Valiant - I mean, it's a 1969 bulgin power cord dented gold brick that takes 72 hours to even start sounding un-muddy and it is the most beautiful LUSH yet decent imaging / detail / bass (tube midrange, solid state bass but with character and imaging) amp I've ever experienced. Maybe too beautiful - at least according to the Quad 606, but I preferred it by a landslide on the 57's and 63's, so much so I'd never go from 63's to 57's again - extra octave, way better dynamics, one way point source imaging.

Now, let's be real - they're 40 years old now, we're getting into electrical hazard territory - but I recall one Stereophile or TAS artice where the guy was waxing poetic about the 303 - he bought one at a garage sale or something - plugged it in - and said "it worked perfectly" - but that was Quad back in the day. And that article was probably 20 years ago.

I had a net-audio one - did not like it. Went back to my bulgin power cord dented 1969 Valiant. I'm not saying rush out and buy one - take some time, but my bet is a 1970's 303 will work better than a 1990's somethingorother. I had a Nad 3020 once - the 303 danced circles around it and did a little tapdance on it's head. But the 3020 was probably past it's prime. The 303 - after 72 hours - was not. Full disclosure, I did not give the 3020 72 hours - it was off by a country mile.

It's also possible they were voiced more "modern" over the years - perhaps some Quad expert here knows that. Mine, being 1969 - was voiced to the Quad II tube amps by Peter Walker IN NINETEEN SIXTY NINE (or 67 or whatever). Perhaps the older are better - I wouldn't know, I've still got the same 1969 one I bought in university.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.