Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Two is better than one

With the Dipole Planars - I use MMG's - set them at the sides of the room at the "Nulls" at the side of room. much better integration than beside the planar. The reason the two subs always sound better is that the Room modes effects can be minimized.

With my experience the cost is not a concern; that is two $200 Subs is far better than one $500 sub; two $700 Subs better than one $1500 Sub. also note that the subs do not have to match.

You can feed a mono LP signal into each sub - like is usual from an AV receiver (I've never seen one output Stereo - even if it has two Sub Outs)
Or you can send the signals broadband out of your preamp/amp and use the plate amp or a dedicated amplifier with built in crossover. Most the time - even with Planars - better to also High Pass the main speaker signals. Many will argue otherwise here.

Also do not be afraid to experiment with 80Hz and higher crossover points - I just set up a system with 6 MMG-W speakers (three pair) and three subs. The side subs were set up at L&R stereo with a crossover at 125Hz seamlessly. The rear sub (For aesthetic reasons, no front sub was used) was added then to the mix using the traditional 80 Hz crossover point.

Regarding the positioning of the sub woofers - theory and measurements (for whatever they are worth in the AA) say corners should be avoided with slightly off center side and front/back wall placement preferred.

"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

Edits: 09/02/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.