Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

maggie MMG 5 channel setup: emo xpa-3 + rotel vs. emo xpa-5?

Planar gurus,
I've spent the past month researching a good 5 channel HT setup on a budget. Thanks to your advice (NAD too wimpy), I decided NOT to go with an AV receiver and will stick with separates.

One of you suggested emotiva...I'd never heard of them, but what a bargain...After looking at many used higher end options, and the decent resale of the emotiva gear, I'm ready to buy one.

I've narrowed my options to this:
Speakers: 2 MMG's + CC5 up front. 2 martin logan scenarios (surround).

Oppo BDP-103 as my player AND pre/pro. (I can't resist trying this)

Amps: option 1: XPA-3 for front 3 channels, and my old rotel RB-981 (130 WPC @ 8 ohms) to drive the rear ML's.

option 2: XPA-5 for all channels.

I guess I don't have any idea what the advantages/drawbacks are of having 2 separate amps to drive my front/rear speakers. However, by keeping my rotel, I'd be able to explore how different combinations of amps vs. speakers sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions or cautions about either set up? I'd be grateful for any thoughts on the Oppo player as pre-amp too...

Thanks in advance for any insights! I really appreciate past responses, you saved me from making a mistake and buying a cheap AVR.

Zdog

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Topic - maggie MMG 5 channel setup: emo xpa-3 + rotel vs. emo xpa-5? - zdog 09:02:27 08/31/14 (3)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.