Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan 12QR crossover question

The wiring on the Magnepan crossovers can get confusing because the left and right speakers are mirror images. Having all the wires black does not help matters and also it is clear that the original owner got confused so you cannot trust that he did not reverse the polarity of the tweeter and woofer on the each speaker (leaves a big hole at the crossover point).

I believe the orginal color coding on the MG-12 is the same as on the MMG -- brown (+) and blue (-) for the tweeter and black (+) and white (-) for the woofer. So for the left speaker (+ -) (- +) where the first set is the tweeter and the 2nd set is the woofer. On the right side its (- +) and (+ -) --woofer then tweeter. Or with colors brown-blue white-black on the left and white-black brown-blue on the right.

You may have difficulty finding a 2.8 mH inductor as the standard E-12 size is 2.7 mH. I wouldn't worry about a 0.1 mH error -- you will not be able to hear the difference. Also you will probably find out that your replacement parts will not fit into the speaker. You will need to build an external box. This is a good thing as it will isolate the crossover from the vibrations of the speaker.
Finally one suggestion - omit the attenuator jumper and the fuse but put a 10 uH choke in series with the tweeter.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 08/29/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.