Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Tweeter Ribbon Assistance Needed for Maggie 3.3R

Yes it's a shame Magnepan no longer manufacture the old wide 3 ohm ribbon. It's thinner than the other 2 types and must have been more prone to breaking. I can't think of any other reason why they changed to the thicker wide 2 ohm wide ribbon and 1 ohm resistor (because the 2 ohm definitely sounds inferior to the original wide 3 ohm and gives less output due to the resistor). This change happened in both the Tympani IVa and MGIIIa throughout their manufacture.

The newer narrow 3 ohm ribbon is the best sounding one. I compared all three types of ribbon a few years ago. At the time I too toyed with the idea of fitting a newer type narrow 3 ohm foil into an older wide cage, but myself and Satie came to the conclusion that there would be two main problems, the first being a wider magnet gap giving less output, and the secondly it would be hard and maybe not possible to put in the damping dots needed.

If the magnets are also thicker on the newer cage that means fitting a narrow foil in a wide cage would give even less efficiency. How much is hard to tell though I guess the only way to find out would be to try it. If it's too inefficient it might not be useable.

Magnepan won't ship whole new narrow tweeters abroad. My only other hope to fit new narrow tweeters into my MGIIIas was to try to find a pair of post 3.3R Maggies with non working drivers (even blown tweeters would be ok as you could get the ribbon repair kit, you just need the new cages). Been looking for 4 years now though and still nothing has turned up on that front!

Edits: 08/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Tweeter Ribbon Assistance Needed for Maggie 3.3R - Davy 16:05:53 08/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.