Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Build System to Power MG 1.6 Using Vintage Higher End Equipment

Amp power per 'way' generally depends on crossover point. If you wanted an amp, even for Maggies, which are considered 'power hungry' and have it for 10k UP, you'd still only need a little power which your NAD would easily supply.
The 50:50 point is generally considered to be AROUND 400hz. That means, SAME amp(s).

I use 2x Parasound stereo amps. ONE per speaker. The 2 main schools of biamp are 'Horizontal' and 'Vertical'. In one method, for example, one stereo amp runs the BASS and another stereo amp runs mid/tweet. You can mix/match amps here but be careful of gain. With one stereo amp per speaker, they should match.

The advantage, IMO, of one amp per speaker is that of SHORT speaker cable runs. The DISadvantage is longer run from preamp TO amp. But my amp has a linelevel OUT and IN per channel, so I JUMPER the amp and run only ONE cable to the amp. Channel 'a' out to 'b' in! And I also have level controls which I don't use, if I were to think it a little 'off balance' in frequency response.

The MG1.6 has a 600hz crossover which is VERY close to the 50:50 mark. What I DO, is offload some of the bass to a sub which reduces some stress on the bass amp.

Too much is never enough

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.