Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MGIIIa tweeter question

Thanks for the info. Well its great to know someone can replace the mylar with the same spec and tension for a cost. I can rewire myself but it's a bit of a slow process so rewiring as well is welcome. Seen many different Tympanis before for sale with broken mylar. If this had been available then....

I think you are right it's actually well worth trying an narrow 3 ohm ribbon foil in an older wide cage. The gap is wider but not vastly. I thought about it before but was put off as it's is very important to get those adhesive dots down to secure the ribbon and I didn't think it would be possible (discussed it with Satie). If it however viable to put those dots in (might be a bit tricky because of the extra space) then it might work just fine. I might try it soon in my MGIIIa tweeters cages, as like I say, that narrow ribbon sounds a lot better than the 2 ohm wide type.

I'd still bet on your Tympanis having the older discontinued 3 ohm wide ribbons in them though, as there are no resistors in the crossover. It's still a good tweeter, just not exactly replaceable if it breaks. Its a very thin material so I'd be careful moving them around.

Its a bit weird that Shelia is not aware of the older 3 ohm wide tweeter that is 60" long. It's likely a common issue that comes up with people break their MGIIIa ribbon as both the wide 3 ohm and 2 ohm ribbon was used in that tweeter, and if supplying a new 2 ohm ribbon to someone that had an early MGIIIa (with the 3 ohm ribbon) they need to be told to install 1 ohm resistor in the crossover. Info about that is written in the MGIIIa manual. The Tympani IVa obviously also used both types of ribbon too throughout its manufacture.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.