Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MGIIIa tweeter question

You are right in that Magnepan speakers have not changed that much, - particularly in terms of the main drivers, just making subtle changes to foil instead of wire etc (and some crossover changes).

As for the tweeters, the wide and narrow ribbon cages are v similar in dimensions (and the magnets are likely the same) but there are other obvious differences between them. The channel the ribbon foil goes into is obviously a different size between the two. Take a look at yours. The wide foil will not fit in a narrow tweeter cage channel and although the narrow foil will theoretically fit in the wider cage channel it will not work optimally as it's not possible to put in the adhesive securing dots needs.

Yes sorry I forgot the Tympani IVa midrange is different to the 3 series. Sounds nice. Having the midrange on a separate sheet of mylar should give less IMD and the two sections should not pollute each other like you say. I hope they sound great when fixed up. I bought a set of dead IVas a few years ago and repaired them, but they were way too big for my room so I sold them on. Am quite interested in used MG20s or 20.1s but they are risky buy as its a huge problem if they need repair (due to the sealed push pull design of the drivers) and shipping to Magnepan to get them fixed from abroad is not viable. At least the single ended Tympanis and 3 series are DIY repairable.

Thanks for the info on the German company that can repair the drivers with new Myalr,- great to know. Was it expensive to get them to put in new Tympani Mylar?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.