Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MGIIIa tweeter question

I am rebuilding my Tympani IVa. Wanted to have the 3 ohm ribbon in them. Ordered a kit from Magnepan. What troubles me is that I am not sure I got a 3 ohm ribbon. I have not dared to unpack and measure it.

Sheila at Magnepan wrote:
“The ribbon you received is for the 60" tweeters which are in the MG3, MG3a, T4, T4a, and T3d. The other sizes are the 40" for the MG2.5 and MG2.6 or the 60.6" and that's for the MG3.3, MG3.5, MG3.6, MG3.7, MG20 and MG20.1
The 40" and 60" is wider and the 60.6" is narrow. They fit in their specific tweeter core channels ( they are also different sizes ) and are designed for specific models.

Confusing as some of you mention there exist a wide 3 ohm ribbon too.

Davy wrote:
“The best mod to do with the MGIIIas in my opinion is to cut the tweeter trough a little longer and install the newer 3 ohm narrow tweeter. This is my plan in the longer term. The output from the new tweeter is higher (than 2 ohm wide tweeter with 1 ohm resistor) with more sparkle. It also sounds significantly more refined and simply nicer than the older two tweeters (though the original fragile thin 3 ohm wide tweeter is not too far behind). The 2 ohm wide tweeter sounds a bit rough/course to my ears is is certainly the worse sounding of the 3 ribbon types in my opinion. The invention of the narrower tweeter was clever as it still uses the thicker material (so its still strong) but as it's narrower it twists less, produces less distortion and hence sounds better than the wider tweeters types.”

Satie wrote:
“My T IV ribbons are the "3" ohm - i.e. 2.75 ohm tweeter. They are capable of taking more punishment than you would expect and the test tones will do them no harm well into the 90s db range. More recently I put the XO at the symmetrical point at 5,8khz, but had to add a filter at about the 250hz area (a copy of the mid HP) to protect the ribbon from its new lower freq operating range. So now it is a higher Q filter. But it is entirely coherent with the mids.”

The best option is the narrow 3 ohm ribbon but can I shorten it to fit the T-IVa? Well, I can also take the tweeter from my MG 3.6…

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.