Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: PLLXO biamp + passive pre-amp on MMGs: a nice little surprise

There are various types. However, REW (free software), a calibrated microphone and a PC/MAC can give you some solid footing. We are not talking "lab-grade" in many cases; our rooms can defeat this easily. The flip side is that the measurements are superbly practical, precisely because "it is in our own room". You can "see" better, as you make changes.

Months ago I mentioned that in recent times the availability of calibrated microphones has increased while the prices have come down. I have tested several units and they fare well vs my more expensive ones, at least for all practical purposes. In fact, the Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone is less than $20 and works well with REW on PC/Mac (though it was originally designed for iPhones & Android). Look it up at Dayton (link below).

I wish I could offer a proper basic "how-to" but I am a bit short on time these days. I will still try to do so -- perhaps this week -- but count also on others who have similar experience to pitch in. You may also want to roam REW's forum on HometheaterShack.com

I do plan to place more emphasis on some practical examples of what can be achieved with REW or similar packages. Folks tend to become more motivated to learn when they see the usefulness.

Once they see how easy and practical it has become to measure, the real challenge is to remind them that some discipline helps achieve the best results.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: PLLXO biamp + passive pre-amp on MMGs: a nice little surprise - JBen 13:48:18 08/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.