Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Unusual Use of 3.5R Bass Panels

A month or so ago, I posted that I was going to try this. No one commented. Perhaps you all thought it too crazy

WELL, my crazy idea works awesome

In 6+ years of owning the 3.5Rs, I was never able to create a proper spl in my big room and kept blowing ribbons, I finally threw in the towel and bought a used pair of Swan Diva’s for a song (npi). They are ported, a bit tubby and wooly in the bass. I plugged the ports and ran my SVS 12” powered sub to good effect, but...

the 12” woofer is not fast, and hard to adjust to prevent smearing well into the mids

I was going to sell the Maggies and the W4S 4 channel amp I used to drive them, when I remembered...

About a year ago, Magnepan came out with woofer panels @ $750, which don’t dig deep but provide more bass due to moving more air in the room

http://www.magnepan.com/DWM_and_DW_1_Woofers

One night I had a brain fart and decided to use the Maggie bass panels only with the OEM XO + the Swans out front

They work much better together than they have a right to, considering no special XO is being used

I am biwiring off my Parasound A 23

See my AA ad if interested in the W4S MC 250/500

Best sound I have had

Edits: 08/11/14 08/11/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Unusual Use of 3.5R Bass Panels - HiOnFi 08:13:54 08/11/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.