Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Jumper Cables Assistance on Maggie 3.3R

We'll you need two things, an amp and a crossover. Do you have no amp at all to try the speakers with now? If not you need to get one than think about the crossover problem.

As for amp recommendations for use with Maggies, there are a lot of amps that will work quite well, but also many that work but won't be so good as they won't drive the speakers well. In general you want a higher current design capable of constant stability into a 4 ohm load, and preferably one with a lot of power. Anything under 100 watts a channel is not going to be too great unless you are in a small room or don't listen too loud. , 200 watts + is more like it, but I suppose 100-200 would be ok for a starter amp until you can upgrade.

Rather than give any specific recommendations, have a look at some amps and read up on the specs. Look into whether the amp will be happy into a 4 ohm load and look at the power rating.

There are plenty of pre/ power combinations and integrated amps that will work ok. If you get an integrated amp it would be preferable to get one with pre outs so you can biamp in the future so look for that. There are also quite a few heftier AV receivers that would be capable into 4 ohm loads and have reasonable power output and you might be able to find one very cheap. That market moves very fast meaning older stuff loses value fast, much faster than hifi amps. The sound quality of an AV receiver might not be as good as a hifi amp setup but could do as a stopgap as something that will drive the speakers ok and get you up and running. Most receivers have pre outs so that's good. Beware there are also plenty of weedier receivers out there that won't work well into 4 ohm so look at the specs and blurb carefully for each one you seen. In general bigger Denons and Yamahas and Onkyos should be fine driving one pair of 4 ohm speakers any many will actually says it's ok in the specs or the manual. I would avoid Pioneers receivers with Maggies as the Pioneer sound is renowned for being overly bright.

Have at lot at specs of amps and feel free to ask me here or by pm if an amp you see for sale would work ok. If you shop around you could probably find something that will work fine for very cheap. Then you could upgrade to something that sounds better in the future as funds allow. I am quite familiar with Denon and Yamaha AV receivers of the past 15 years so let me know if you are interested in the AV receiver route and I'll make a list of models that should work ok.

When you get the amp don't use it until you put an external crossover in place on the speaker though...

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.