Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MGIIIa tweeter question

Hi Neo,

I had a look at your MGIIIa rebuild on your profile. Looks lie kyou did it a few years ago but I somehow missed it. That's a superb job (I am pretty jealous!). I really like the fact you put in the better thinner 3 ohm ribbon and I love the wood enclosure. Turning the mylar to the front is also a good idea too as it gives a clearer sound. When I do this with the stock speaker (just turning it around) it loses bass impact/punch and dynamics compared to listening to the normal magnet side, but I guess putting the panel in a wood frame really helps the bass impact so listening to the mylar side is fine in that regard.

So although you tweaked your internal crossover for active biamping I guess you are still using similar MGIIIa type slopes of 18 12 12 12? Did you ever try the simpler 18 6 6 6 I use on my 3.3Rs and Satie uses on his Tympani IVs? (it has a spaced crossover on the mid/tweeter.). Works real magic in my view as the coherence/blending between mid and tweeter is far better than with any other crossover I have tried. I am still using the stock 18 12 12 12 crossover in my MGIIIa, but I will try 18 6 6 6 in them too when I've sorted my tweeter issues. I guess the only issues with the latter setup is it might now have the same max vol potential and you could get some IMD at higher volumes, but I've never had a problem with it with the 3.3Rs.

Anyway, like I mention in the post above I'm going to try running the MGIIIa wide 2 ohm ribbon without the resistor. In fact when I repaired the delam on the speakers I measured those tweeters at about 2.2 ohms each. The 3.3R narrow "3 ohm" tweeter measured at about 2.75 ohms so the wide thick tweeter is not actually that far off resistance wise, and therefore might be ok without the 1 ohm resistor.

One other quick question no worries if you have no ideas on this. I have an Anthem MRX500 AV amp that has the renowned ARC room correction system software included with it (you run ARC on a PC and upload to the receiver). ARC is much better than the auto eq systems in other brand receivers. It has a calibrated microphone and give excellent results particularly in auto equing the bass region.

There are some graphs here. It's very capable in giving a flatter in room bass response :-
ARC graphs

It is adjustable as you can specify the max eq freq and there is a adjustable "room gain" feature if you find the EQ makes the sound too thin/light. There are also lots of options for subwoofer crossovers to the main speakers. It's mega convenient as you can run it using it with 5-9 different postilions in about 10-20 minutes and get very good room correction very quickly. I've only tried it with conventional speakers so far but I was also thinking of trying this with a set of my Maggies. It's not exactly high end hifi but I am very intrigued. I would never use the internal receiver's amps of course, - would power the Maggies from my hefty NAD 208 power amp using the MRX500s pre outs.

The only thing that worries me is that the test tones the Anthem uses (which are quick pulses from the lowest freq to highest) are pretty high volume, and might smoke my ribbons! Would you or anyone else have any thoughts on whether its worth risking or not?! (suppose I could try it with the 2 ohm tweeters, as I already have some replacement foils handy if they break!).

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MGIIIa tweeter question - Davy 06:01:02 08/08/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.