Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MGIIIa tweeter question

Hi There,

Thanks for the advice re reversing the panels. Given this a try before but the trade off is the sound is not as punchy and dynamic when listening to the mylar side compared to the magnet side, though like you say, the mylar side is certainly clearer sounding in both mid and treble. I miss the punch/dynamics too much though so this is not an ideal solution for me.

The best mod to do with the MGIIIas in my opinion is to cut the tweeter trough a little longer and install the newer 3 ohm narrow tweeter. This is my plan in the longer term. The output from the new tweeter is higher (than 2 ohm wide tweeter with 1 ohm resistor) with more sparkle. It also sounds significantly more refined and simply nicer than the older two tweeters (though the original fragile thin 3 ohm wide tweeter is not too far behind). The 2 ohm wide tweeter sounds a bit rough/course to my ears is is certainly the worse sounding of the 3 ribbon types in my opinion. The invention of the narrower tweeter was clever as it still uses the thicker material (so its still strong) but as it's narrower it twists less, produces less distortion and hence sounds better than the wider tweeters types.

Edits: 08/07/14 08/07/14 08/07/14 08/07/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MGIIIa tweeter question - Davy 15:24:45 08/07/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.