Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Cleaning Quad ESL 57 Grilles

Well I'm finally gonna put my Quad ESL grills back on -- I don't know exactly why; maybe I just want a new look.

Anyway, mine are the nice bronze ones. Except they are dirty. Grungy. I've washed them in the shower with dish soap, scrubbed them -- yes, all the black dust washed down the drain. The water looked like what you see when you steam clean carpet.

I cleaned them again spraying with 409 and scrubbing with a soft brush. Better -- but when you look close, it's still grungy. Not oxidized, but something still deep in the grooves.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to clean the grill with -- something to spray on it that won't remove the paint? Maybe a wheel cleaner that's non-etching and won't eat paint? Green cleaner? Orange cleaner? That 409 didn't do much.

Anything to reduce scrubbing and actually work on the gunk? And no, repainting isn't really an option -- they don't need that. The paint under the gunk is great! Beautiful they are!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Topic - Cleaning Quad ESL 57 Grilles - StevieRay 20:11:55 08/06/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.