Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

I thought you already reasoned your way out of this.

As you previously mentioned, these devices slew quite a lot faster than any audio signal.

In the first place, many people say lots of things which simply aren't true. A meme doesn't have to be true in order to spread. In the second place, we're talking about Class A/AB amps (and I can tell you from experience than an idling X150 or X350 makes a great space heater). In the third place, the Pass X150 utilizes 40 HexFETs in the output section and its bigger siblings only add 8 more (until we get to the X1000, which uses 80). Finally, every one of each output device type is drawn from the same lot and tightly matched nine ways to Sunday.

I think it's pretty easy to discount the opinion held by many that the lower powered amp in a series, where the difference is 'scale', sounds somewhat better. On the other hand, as 'sounds' is a subjective opinion, and a hell of a lot more than the actual sound factors into that opinion, it is patently impossible to say that those who find it to be true by actually doing the comparison are wrong. Of course, that raises the question: How many who make that claim have actually done the comparison? For the record, I have and I disagree (but, that doesn't make me right ;-).

Edits: 07/29/14 07/29/14 07/29/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.