Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: My First Maggies

Indeed, semiconductors do wear out, as well - less effective thermal transfer of heat to the sink accelerates the breakdown. I only mentioned a couple of the absolutes in terms of aging amplifiers. I have a few old amps, but I've restored them. Heck, another absolute in those old components is that the solder in a number of locations must be replaced. I should have been more clear in the way I mentioned that topic - more to the OP and others recommending some vintage amps (you said nothing about it).

I'm no amp designer, but I'm pretty sure paralleling output devices does improve linearity via effective averaging since the output is a sum of the set. Of course, such a statement presupposes that the devices are well matched and generally healthy. In any case, unless pushed beyond its capabilities, I sincerely doubt I could tell the difference between an X150 and an X350 - except for the greater class A power available from the latter...hence, I'm back to favoring the bigger amp (theoretically, at least :-).

Edits: 07/27/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.