Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Dolby Atmos and planer surrounds

I think most of the people who have surrounds are using them for movies, and aiming them at the listener is definitely better for that since it gives you better localization. But if you're trying to emulate a concert hall for music, a point source isn't so good since lower interaural cross correlation is associated with better concert hall ambiance/sound. Basically that's saying that you want sound to seem like it's coming from everywhere, rather than just a specific point -- a very diffuse, randomized sound field.

Of course, that assumes you can get sufficient levels. Once you're back a few rows in the concert hall -- the far field -- more than half of what you're hearing is reverberation, so even for acoustical music the surrounds have to have good SPL capability.

Re your other post, haven't seen that setup. I did see a picture of a very cool surround setup that someone made using electrostatics mounted in the walls. It looked like it was audio oriented. Theatrical surround by convention had the surrounds mounted higher up towards the ceiling.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Dolby Atmos and planer surrounds - josh358 20:18:16 07/13/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.