Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Lunch-break' mindless ramblings on drivers integration

Verrry late lunch after long hours working on a project ... in need of a mental break....I must have a sugar low or someth'n...but the brain cell just cranked this out.

Over the recent weeks, I've listened to more of other people's systems than to my own. Such variety within a short timeframe is unusual. I have heard a broad range of good speakers, both planars & boxes. For reference, mine are a set of [very ancient] modded MMGs. Luckily, the scope of achievable [room, equipment and speakers] integration at home is wide. So, I get away with an improbably decent-sounding 2-way system (and I love that I don't have to turn the sub).

Happily, this also a fact in many of YOUR own homes. Even when listening to much more expensive systems that have "ACTUAL superior virtues"...YOUR planars -- be it Maggies or others -- still charm you more often...and for longer hours. It is amazing that in most cases you can get 90% of the subjective satisfaction that planars can provide REGARDLESS of how basic your planar speakers are. So long as they are set up properly and fed decently, Nirvana may seem far closer than some "objective realities" may seem to warrant.

Against intuition -- and challenging speaker design paradigms -- with most Maggies this happens despite sharing the same piece of Mylar diaphragm for TWO or more drivers. Typically, it is a tweeter and a mid/bass driver config. The 1.7s even have the nerve to add a super-tweeter! Furthermore, most of these Mylar diaphragms have magnets on one side only. When you consider the potential impacts of this asymmetry together with the mechanical intermodulation distortion of using the same Mylar sheet...

...well, like I may have said already: improbable but real...or else many of us would likely not be here, LOL!

Listening to all these very expensive systems with all their specific virtues...I can catch a relative weakness that they have vs the drivers in many of our Maggies.

In these other ones (and on this I'll include some Maggies that have ribbon tweeters and/or DWM) as long as they don't share the same diaphragm, each drivers' reproduction SQ gains in some aspects. Unfortunately, they also lose in some SQ dimensions...perhaps of vital worth.

So, I invite your comments on an often-taken-for-granted reality: Given how much they can charm us, it must be a powerful thing that which "drivers on the same diaphragm" bring to the plate, don't you think?

Edits: 07/07/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - Lunch-break' mindless ramblings on drivers integration - JBen 13:58:28 07/07/14 (5)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.