Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

sock material for Tympani-Shoji project

Has anyone tried making Japanese shoji screens out of Tympanies, or otherwise experimented with the type of decorative material that can be used as socks without noticeably impacting the sound quality?

I would like to make a pair of shoji-style screens out of a pair of Tympani 1-Ds, but I am concerned about the type of material I can use for the screens and what effect it might have on the sound.

I'm sure that paper (no matter how thin) is out as it would both restrict the volume of sound and be ruinous to the sound quality. But what about silk? I suspect that silk too would restrict the volume of sound passing through the silk. Has anyone ever experimented with, or researched, using silk as a sock or speaker grill cloth?

Are there any suitably decorative cloth materials that could be used without impacting the sound?

Has anyone tried building new frames for Tympanies? Is it doable? Is it doable by someone with less-than-professional carpentry skills and meager electronics skills? My wood-working is OK, and I can solder ... that's about it.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Doug

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Topic - sock material for Tympani-Shoji project - Doug_in_Virginia 10:25:33 06/30/14 (7)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.