Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: HK/Limage

Limage is an adherent of the chopstick or bow and arrow mod to control the pole piece/magnet board vibrations and he expects it also to prolong the life of the bass drivers by preventing their curvature increasing permanently over time.

I also disagree with his notion of the light diaphragm not requiring mass loading or at least structural bracing. My experience with bass performance is that the benefit is startlingly clear with high power bass content like piano's bottom octave and massed contrabass and organ foot pedals. Just bracing the top of the bass panels to the wall gives you a 6-8 db increase in bass PEAK output at 30-40 hz if you have the power to do it (I use a 2kw/ch to 20hz/2.5 kw/ch to 30hz linear pro amp from Crown).

I also agree with the point on polar response being an issue that needs to be addressed at the crossover or physical driver arrangement. I recessed the mid/treble panels relative to the face forward bass panels in order to be able to use 1st order crossovers. That still leaves a problem in phase between the midbass and deep bass panels of the TIV in that setup. I may just have to go back to sharp bass low pass (4rth order) to narrow the problem freq range. I believe maggie XOs being spaced far apart in hp and lp corner freq are actually good on face forwards setups, not only on axis.

I have an issue with the monkey walk method since it does not happen in every room and position but the sonic effect still works just fine. So when I tell people how to set it up I start with the initial geometry and ask them to adjust from there. Whether or not there is the "snap together" room focus point or not, the desired detachment of the soundstage from the speakers is very obvious once you get far enough from the front wall, and sorely missed when the speakers are pulled too far beyond it.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.