Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Sonic advantage of using high power amps (with Clamp Board)

With the protection clamp board in place the speaker won't care if the amp is stable with the load or not. The amp will not damage the speaker. The circuit is a simple voltage regulator that is in parallel with the secondary windings. Once a certain voltage threshold is reached the regulator engages and prevents any further voltage swing.

An amp that cannot handle the load is not much of an amp IMO. This may sound rough but having used the Quad for 30+ years I have yet to find an amp that is not stable with the speaker and this includes a little NAD 7020 receiver. I have even stacked Quads with the NAD and it just keeps on singing!

And yes I think the speakers sound MUCH better with large output amps. Folks are amazed with the dynamics and bass capabilities with large output amps. Smaller amps just never give the grip and control that I like. Something in the 50-100 watt range will work but I know plenty of folks that use even larger amps. I am have no fears of damage using 300 watts.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.