Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: HK/Limage

Moving the speakers away from the front wall reduces midbass and deep bass but not in such a big way and not the one significantly more than the other. The lean midbass you observe was there before too wasn't it? It just got worse moving the speakers into the HK/Limage position.

You had a toe in for the speakers before that would have allowed the resonance from the width of the room to get excited. That would have contributed to midbass with the primary 80 hz resonance of the 14 ft wide room and the first harmonic at 160hz. In the HK/Limage setup there is no excitation of that mode because the sidewalls see the dipole null and no direct radiation till further down in the room. You can test it out with the toe in angle- as you go up in toe in you should notice less deep bass and more midbass as you decouple from the long room length and couple the shorter one.

The other thing is the degree of bass loading provided by the sidewalls. That increases as you push the speakers towards the sidewall to reduce the width of the slot between them. That reduces the degree of dipole cancellation on that side so leaves more of the bass driver's tuned resonance peak uncancelled at the listening position.

The midbass enhancement from the DWM should be well beyond enough to fill in for both the loss of the room width's resonance peaks and for whatever else had been reducing midbass in your room.

On another note, your 3.7i is still rather new and if you hadn't been playing it at lease breaking levels then it will take some time to loosen the midbass.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: HK/Limage - Satie 01:22:11 06/22/14 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.