Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Last night adjusted my opinion.

I decided on "making" the HK/Limage setup when I had fought with the Rooze for a long while. I had demoed it for a former MG20 owner (now into Focal Utopias as well) who was firmly enthralled with the presentation but was non commital about liking the bass - which is a good thing since the bass was wooly (to be kind to myself). Imaging was on a grand panoramic scale but the precision was lacking and some recordings were comical in the big violin type presentation.

The HK/Limage setup I tried on the long wall restored the pinpoint precision and opened the front of the soundstage like nothing I ever heard before This was all done without scaling down the soundstage where it was big but without the ridiculous presentation of some chamber music in the Rooze setup.

I did a split arrangement with the bass panels in the appropriate 1/4 wave position as one of the Limage clique's Tympani owners had done, and the mid/tweeter in its own HK/Limage perpendicular position. Spatially this was the most spectacular but there was a coherence issue with the far off bass panels. Also drawing the mid/tweet too close to the wall could give caricature like presentations like taking apart a drum kit and distancing its component sounds so far apart you can't even imagine one person having the reach to operate it.

In the current short wall set of arrangements I have hit on a set of arrangements with a time alignment of the acoustic center of the bass panels (face forward) rather than of each panel. This is a contiguous arrangement without separating the bass panels from the upper freq portion. The soundstage is full sized and varies in perceived depth - growing deeper as the setup is pulled forward from the 40% point to the 60% point (% of the room's depth front to back). The imaging is precise and pianos are opened up so that you can hear the strings separate from the soundboard in space(provided the recording has it). The soundstage is not as great as it could be as it gets to 20-25 ft wide but no more. It gives sort of a Met Opera square stage presentation. With the mid tweets closer to the wall in the split config the soundstage was only limited by the recording and could get to be 40 ft wide.
Bass is very full as this captures the oblique resonance and thus creates a giant peak at 30-40 hz so that the -3 db point off of the midrange is at 20 hz. The 30 hz prominence is at +6 db 30-40hz and + 3db 25hz to 50+hz. Very satisfying and helps you keep up with the Fletcher Munson curves.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.