Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: 1.6QR phasing

I just got back from a trip and perhaps read this all above in haste. It does look as if you know what you are doing and the gang has also helped.

One thing did come to mind that you may want to explore later. I am listening to music as I write this. My heavily modded MMGs are playing alone in stereo, no other speaekrs or subs. The "mode" they are playing in is their best (overall). It is my favorite for a number of reasons, too many to cover now. Significantly, this mode has both the tweeter and the mid/bass drivers wired in "same-polartity".

This is something that I've always liked more than the typical "inverted polarity" since the day I began to bi-amp (PLLXO) many years ago. The xover points & slopes that I now use are very similar to what the factory used as speaker-level xovers. In those eaarly days my MMG version had factory xover slopes similar to the 1.6 (1st order for tweeter & 2nd order for the mid/bass).

I've always wondered if other Maggies could benefit from this. To be sure, "same-polarity" is a bit more challenging to optimize. I reckon that I've been lucky here and other factors, like the room and is configuration, may have helped.

I lost the schematics I made of my MMGs wiring the day I first altered them. Therefore I do not know what polarity they had then. However, the last time I measured the factory speaker-level xover, I only had the factory original parts for one channel. With these FACTORY parts the best response curve came if I used "same-polarity". Curiously "inverted-polarity" looked just as usable.

To this day -- in PLLXO bi-amp mode now -- I can switch to "inverted-polarity" in a minute. I do so at times for some recordings (bad recordings are more easily forgiven, for example). Even with good & great recordings, "inverted-polarity" mode does not disappoint.

Yet, in this room "same polarity" can be much more addictive. The better the texture captured in a recording of a voice or instrument are, the more its richness comes across. While there are imaging & staging attributes that I can approximate to "equal" in both modes (making adjustments), NOTHING has gotten me close enough in terms of texture richness and natural timbres as "same-polarity".

Were it not for how meaningful the experience may be I would not encourage the heavy tweakers among us to explore it. It does require a little extra tweak work. Yet, when it works...even the Mylar may disappear, if you know what I mean.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: 1.6QR phasing - JBen 19:16:59 04/24/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.