Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

...and a crossover.

I have a 150wpc valve amp. I've tried it with my 3.7s in a full range setup and it definitely sounded under-powered. Diverting the heavy lifting to a pair of subs via an electronic crossover, that amp has no problem.

I should qualify that statement. A few nights ago, I discovered that my amp was in triode mode. I switched it from ultra-linear one night when I was listening to quiet music while reading and I completely forgot about it. I've recently been somewhat disappointed in the sound of my system and I finally realized why. I had a senior moment (and I'm not really a senior yet). Curiously, cranking it in triode mode with the wrong kind of music aggravated the Maggie tizziness (at least, that's how it sounds). It's much better in ultra-linear mode (unless I'm listening to acoustic music at more reasonable volumes). So, even with the load lightened, 75(tube)wpc just doesn't cut it (IMO and with my amp).

Edits: 04/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.