Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Is your advice...

Well, Josh pointed out that the 3.7 is more "tuned" and he suspects that the tuning makes it into a 2.5 way speaker more than a 3 way. That would be like the TIV/IVa that had a tuned midbass and plain bass to make it a 3.5 way. The 3.6 would have a clearer XO transition. But the main issue is the cost difference.

I don't think you would have a problem reselling once you put things back. If you take a pro with a storefront to finish it then you can say it was professionally returned to spec..

While I have no doubt that you could get this level of performance with a pair of subwoofers and a good large panel ESL, so you can overcome the dynamic limitations, it will cost you in space and money. The very top end will need a ribbon supertweeter to give you back the sparkle of the maggie ribbon on the top octave. Competing ribbon tweeters are not quite line sources unless you stack a number of them, and no ESL I heard does that top octave like a ribbon. The ones that might have it in them are the Kingsound and the Soundlabs.

I don't know if you need the dynamic scale of the Neo8 array. If you do, then there is no other planar that can do that so far as I know. It also sports a 95/6 db spl sensitivity (theoretically it is >98 db but I don't think I get that in real life).

With a pair of subwoofers it is probably not going to be an issue to have the whole speaker in a single frame unless you play loud like I tend to.

Edits: 04/11/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Is your advice... - Satie 20:00:27 04/10/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.