Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: What if...

Check out the tuning dots on this picture that Roger posted:

http://www.twin-x.com/groupdiy/albums/userpics/mg_3_7.JPG

There are now tuning dots at the border of the woofer and midrange, which used to have a clamp. There's no way of knowing precisely what frequencies the segments are tuned to without more information. But my guess is that they're using acoustical equalization to make it a 2.5 way -- a necessity because with a single-pole crossover, each driver has to cover a wider frequency range, and for good polar response you need to keep driver width small compared to wavelength. If so, the 3.7 isn't a very good candidate for an add-on midrange. You're either going to have too much of a gap (if you put it next to the old midrange) or you're going to have it on the side opposite the acoustical EQ. Both could exacerbate lobing.

But the first step I think would be to get more information. You could get the frequencies of the resonant sections with a microphone, an RTA, and a pink noise generator -- just move the mic along the grille cloth and see what happens to the frequency response.

Edits: 04/10/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.