Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Thank you for the effort....

I don't think they have much planar competition. There's Eminent Technology, which makes a very good hybrid, and a few smaller companies at both the low and high end of the market. In high end home theater/architectural audio, there's BG and Wisdom Audio, but for the most part their ranges don't overlap.

I suppose their main planar competitor is Martin-Logan, which of course makes ESL's, and some of the mid-priced stats, although in my experience people tend to favor one technology or the other -- they each have tradeoffs. Some technology is common to planars and ESL's, some isn't. For example, diaphragms, tensioning, tuning, damping, baffles, pole pieces and stators -- all similar, and that's where a lot of the black art is. Some of Magnepan's technology would definitely transfer, and vice-versa. But the electronics -- transformers, crossovers, HV power supply, etc. -- are quite different. And then there are the other ESL makers, mostly in the moderately high/high end of the market.

There are other manufacturers of true ribbons as well, often used in hybrid dynamic systems, and the occasional interesting wider range ribbon. But their main planar/ribbon competitor folded years ago. Electronics manufacturers aren't in direct competition so their relationship is essentially synergistic.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thank you for the effort.... - josh358 18:48:38 04/04/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.