Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

PK Rebuilt ESL-57 in the house

All, after playing around with equipment for 40 years I finally own a pr of mint ESL 57's. I intend to use these in a second system in a 12 x 13 room with either my Manley Snappers or modded Dynaco ST70 and bottlehead preamp with a rebuilt thorens TT.

I am currently using them with my main rig a PASS system with VPI TT.

My first impressions are very positive, they meet all the accolades people mention. After a 2 hour initial charge up I powered up the amp, clarity is the first word that comes to mind, more bass and treble than I expected. I had to play around with placement to make them disapear. My room is 13 deep by 28 wide, 10 of which is my dining room to the right. It is a treated room with panels at key points.

I have the speakers out about 50" from the front wall and 4 feet apart toed in a little (Tweeter panel points to my ears). I also tilted them forward.

I only spent about 2 hours last night and will play / listen to them all weekend.

As a loud Classic Rock and Roll 85% of the time guy, these surprised me how loud they can play. Because they are so clear, when I was listening and then trying to talk to my wife and had to yell, I realized how loud it must have been.

I'll provide more info / comments after the weekend

Note: I have had Magnepan 3.6 with mye stands in the past.

Edits: 04/04/14 04/04/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Topic - PK Rebuilt ESL-57 in the house - fin1bxn@msn.com 04:46:22 04/04/14 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.