Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

"Can a suitable value always be found to give zero DC?" ...

I don't think that should be a problem, neo. People like Holco make resistors in all sorts of strange values and, if you create a "parallel resistors calc" spreadsheet, you can play with using several values to achieve the desired end-value.

Alternatively, if you need a value which is not quite the same what you end up with, using several available parallel resistors ... then you can make up a variable resistor combination which should be able to give you the final, fine level of adjustment you need.

Simply parallel:
* a fixed resistor which is around 10% greater than the value you need to end up with, and
* another fixed resistor plus a pot.

EG. if the value of the pot across the 22.1 ohm Source resistor in the schematic turned out to be 2,690 ohm, to get zero DC offset, you would use:
* a 3,160 ohm Holco, in parallel with
* a 10K resistor plus a 10K pot (set to 8,086 ohms).

I use this method for 7 crucial resistors in my 'Muse' phono stage - yes, you still have a pot in the mix but it has a resistor paralleling it which takes 70 or 80% of the current ... so the degradation associated with a pot is, IMO, substantially reduced (compared to just using a pot). And I use Vishay 1280G pots for this purpose, anyway.

(Again, using a "parallel resistors calc" spreadsheet is essential, here.)

Regards,

Andy

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.