Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: I believe Roger is correct on the repair rate...

Yes, I do agree about the "flat rate"...

I have estimated large scale precast concrete projects my whole life...from production to installation...so I have always looked productivity per man hour...now add that to an entire crew of people...
then add a 100 ton crane...we are operating at about $2200 per hour...if we set more than 3 panels an hour, we are in the black, if we set one, we are not...

My point on the hourly rate and man hours, if it involves different stations, it does not take much, to get to 10 hours of labor with multiple people working on them....they are not paying their employees $50 per hour, but as a "shop rate", it is not out of line at all IMHO...

The two ladies in refurbishing, that is 16 hours per day of highly skilled workers, as you stated; with the right tools and ideal working environment...they can really crank things out...

But since we do not know $hit, of what actually is being "upgraded" and what it involves, it is all conjecture as I also stated...someone did look at the internal cost of doing this upgrade....said we won't lose money doing it $500...it will cover our costs and "should" please our customers that we can improve a current model without them having to buy new speakers....well there is a slippery slope...as this post has proven...

People for years have complained about how Magnepan does NOT do any upgrades...instead, they let the models run for years, until they feel it is a significant enough change/design to warrant a new model...

When I bought my 3.7's, I felt very confident that I would not have to wonder or worry about a 3.8 for years and years...historically speaking, why wouldn't I think that...so yes, like the majority of 3.7 owners I was pissed...who wouldn't be...

The biggest rub of this whole thing....!@#$%* shipping, what do are overseas friends do???? My friend Hasse in Sweden...3.7 owner...
Is this something that a qualified dealer could do??? Because of the Maggie Code of Silence, beyond ridiculous IMHO...With JA ASKING Wendell to review a pair...then getting told no, because of the testing and not wanting their dispersion characteristic published??!!?? Really???
Not looking at what a rave review would do for sales. I am guessing the people at KEF with their LS50 are getting maximum mileage out their review and product of the year...what did that do for their bottom line???

DIY tweekers, were pissed with the series x-over in the .7 models because...no bi-amping, no bi-wiring, not as tweeker friendly as previous models...as of yet...

I personally would have thought by now, that someone here would have ripped open a pair to take a look and possibly do some upgrades on their own...swapping out x-over parts...

Quick upgrade story...I had a CJ 17LS, as soon as I got it, they came out with 17LS II, similar to Waz's story...I called CJ and just happened to get Lew Johnson on the phone, (MN boy), so I started shooting the breeze with him...by the time I was done talking, he agreed to take my old preamp in on a trade and sell me a knew one for minimal $$$...no local dealers anywhere in the Midwest at that time...so he was ok selling it to me direct....which he did not like, but said he would make an exception with me...its a MN thing...

thanks
Mark

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.