Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Real news, wouldn't that be nice?

In the first place, this upgrade is evidence which contradicts something for which some have criticized Magnepan. It makes it apparent that the company does, indeed, tinker with their 'completed' products. Many have clamored for the company to offer 'tweaks', and now they are offering one. That's the good news. I just find it bizarre that the 'mod' in question is shrouded in absolute secrecy - not one shred of information beyond, "It's an improvement!"

Were I to appeal to the members of this forum to send their speakers to me for an undisclosed improvement, how many takers do you think I'd find? Love him or hate him (I'm indifferent), PG not only spelled out his upgrade, but provided the details of the crossover design he used - including the specific parts. Which is the classier approach? Although I was critical of some of PG's behavior, I cannot compliment him adequately for his full disclosure. That, my friends, was generous in the extreme and it stands in diametric opposition to the topic of this discussion.

As I said elsewhere, I don't take issue with the cost. As you accurately described, performing such an upgrade is costly for a manufacturer. As this is the 3.7, there is no external crossover - it's all under the sock, which makes whatever they have to do more of a PITA. Perhaps, if it is 'nothing more' than a crossover modification, Magnepan feels that we will be critical of the $500 fee, and I don't doubt that some would be (there will always be those who complain, and I am aware that I am doing so in this thread).

You're also right that the 3.7 is not, in any way, defective. That doesn't mean that an improvement can't be found. Nothing is perfect - the 3.7i isn't perfect, though it might be better than the 3.7. What would be great is to know HOW. Is that so much to ask? If it's the bass that's been improved, as some have suggested, then the upgrade is irrelevant to me. Without a single scrap of information, how can I choose? I'd rather not depend on speculation. The manufacturer should answer this query.

They may not have an active Internet presence, but they do have computers and are aware of this forum. I hope they read this thread and rethink their furtive attitude regarding this upgrade. Please, Magnepan, choose to be open and forthright. Provide us with a little illumination. Otherwise, we are left with the unsettling realization that PG demonstrated more class about his modifications than you do.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.