Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: MG10 vs MG10.1 What are the difference's?

8-inch woofer

Original MG10 exhibit absolutely astounding holographic line-source sound at life-size imaging (sounds like a single driver), but has no/zero/nada/zip/zilch bass.   It's exhibit_A on how dipolar panel loudspeaker width/baffle is required to produce bass under real-world conditions.   While other Maggies reproduce bass below resonance, these gems don't/won't.   Even in an anechoic chamber (where room wall reflections approach irrelevant), bass energy they do produce (audible at extreme nearfield listening) is so well dispersed that much emanating aft (inverse phase to that propagating forward) bends around the slim panel (like how small monopolar subwoofers act as omnipolars) to actually move toward the listener (even without wall reflections).   This obviously interferes with bass energy emnimating forward & cancels it.

To review, bass energy (long wavelength & low frequency) disperses more than treble energy (short wavelength & high frequency), which leaves less intended to hear.   Dispersion is a function of a driver's width verses the sonic wavelength it produces.   Then, when dispersion gets huge, there's bass-cancellation (rear wall reflection only make this worse but that's far less relevant when comparing dipolars of similar baffle surface area to obstruct said echo).

... just my 2¢
moderate Mart

Planar Asylum

where speakers are thin & music isn't

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: MG10 vs MG10.1 What are the difference's? - Mart 02:57:47 03/27/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.