Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

Electrical vs. Acoustic crossover

The Electrical crossover(knee, half power point) along with the slope and their alignment (how the HP/LP filters interact) are (somewhat) easily addressed in theory and practice. In a passive crossover the components calculations are made a little more difficult because of the driver electrical characteristics. An active or passive line level crossover can be easier to implement. The acoustical crossover is a whole different thing and perhaps more important. No loudspeaker has a flat response - on or off axis. and the spacing between the drivers effects the acoustic crossover point. I prefer to do all my development with an active (DSP) crossover - which allows me the flexibility to assess on-axis and power response effects of a crossover design - this often results in asymmetrical electrical crossovers. A classic example is when you are using a two way system with no low pass filter - only a capacitor for the tweeter.
"The hardest thing of all is to find a black cat in a dark room, especially if there is no cat" - Confucius

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.