Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: it may may be just me but…

P.S. :   from what I understand, a vintage Magnepan configuration with perforated-steel magnetic pole-pieces in front & the classic Mylar diaphragms with traditional (copper resembling) round Milloxane coated aluminum wire aft... a slight consensus prefer those bass panels that way.   It's my contention/opinion that the quasi-ribbon reduced T.H.D. design flipped the Maggies around.   I wish my MG2.7.s had the pole-piece in front for my bass, & in stock configuration aft pole-piece for my Q.R. tweeter, & a two-sided push-pull midrange, but that price-point would be highly cost-prohibitive... especially from Magnepan (who raise bang/buck engineering to an art).

The pole-piece's accompanying perforated steel plate in front doubles as an acoustic low-pass filter (as do the grill-cloth socks which can also double as modest damping of steel piece shimmer if doubled & they remain in direct contact) for frequencies well above 2khz (not intended to be generated by a Maggie bass-panel & if it is its mostly distortion).   Also, in my opinion, a fore pole-piece configuration sounds a tad more dynamic (by what sounds like 3dB - 6dB to my ears).   I theorize ... since compressive waves are more audible to human ears (see even-order versus odd-order THD) which generate+propagate as the diaphragm thrusts forward at maximum acceleration ... while ideally occur at rest/zero position of the diaphragm/voice-coil are moving towards the magnets (a stronger magnetic B-field) which makes them increasingly efficient.   Meanwhile, others speculate that the acoustic-filter lowers the noise-floor & that psycho-acoustically sounds more dynamic.

Also, heavy+rigid stands help bass panels sound even more dynamic. Issues to keep in mind if one wants to mate (including P.R.a.T.).

Last, but not least, by any means (&, other pertinent pedantic rhetorical clichés), wire your Bohlender-Graebener : Neo8's in series.   They're already 5dB more efficient than the Maggies as it is & will require a series attenuating resistance to match S.P.L.s as it is (e.g.: 4 Neo8's in series will equate to an approximate 15.2Ω ±0.4Ω load through the majority of the operational bandwidth & that equates to a 8.7Ω - 9.1Ω resistor).   Any parallel or series-parallel configuration will improve the linear-array's operational efficiency (e.g.: four parallel Neo8's will produce 12dB gain from 92.5dB to 104.5dB at an amplifier-melting 0.9Ω minimal-impedance ... while a series-parallel circuit wiring configuration of the four Neo8 array has the same amplifier load as that of a single Neo8 driver impedance & boost the efficiency by 6dB for 98.5dB).   The good news is the Neo8's will employ a smaller capacitor (thus, cheaper), which also makes superior capacitors more affordable.   It's impedance spike near 250hz coupled to a funky S.P.L. Bode plot will make the crossover challenging.

... just my 2¢
moderate Mart

Planar Asylum

where speakers are thin & music isn't

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: it may may be just me but… - Mart 21:57:59 03/23/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.