Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Newform Research

Hi,

I have had 630's, and presently have the Line Source Reference (4, 7" scan peak version with 30" ribbon), the LSM's ( rear surrounds) and stacked LSM's (45" ribbons) in the recording studio.

The line source makes them the least effected by room dimensions of any speaker that I have owned or listened to.

I have owned MG12's, 1.6 and tympani 4A's from Magnepan. I enjoyed the sound of each in their own respect.

I used active crossovers and biamp.

I am looking for excellent time domain accuracy, flat in room response, fast transients and as exact as I can get playback of my recorded material in the studio.

I rely on them for mixing and mastering. I do not want a "sound" coming from my playback system, I want to hear it as recorded.

I set up in a typical triangle, centered on the main listening position, then I use 1/3 octave pink noise with an RTA, a SPL meter "C" weighted and slow response for averages and I always start micing about 1.5 meters away and half of the way down each individual speaker (in position) and look for a balance in average SPL between the tweeter and woofers, then move the mic to the main listening position for the combined speaker effect and room effect at the listening position.

The results in 10 minutes are great..
A dipole such as Magnepan are always reacting heavily with the room, that's what they do! I could adjust their position all year and have no hope of getting as close.

NFR is an outstanding company with an outstanding product.

I highly recommend them.

Cheers,
Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.