Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: IIIa Foil Project Sucess!

I can't think of another way to repurpose the tweeter. It's designed to operate from about 1 kHz up, so it doesn't cover the lower midrange. Best to use it I think as it was intended, in a two-way design with crossover in about the 1 kHz region.

And you can't cross it to the IIIa woofer even if you fix the crossover because you'd lose the midrange in front.

I'm not sure how much of a difference there is between the IIIa foil mid and the Neo's. Obviously, there's a family resemblance there. But the mass of the IIIa mids is compromised because it's on the same sheet as the woofer. The Neo also is push-pull, so it should have lower even-order harmonic distortion. I think the measurement that would be most useful in terms of revealing improved sonics would probably be a waterfall plot, maybe nonlinear distortion would be better as well. But you don't have a measurement of the unmodified mids to serve as a sonic or measurement reference. However, you could make a waterfall measurement of the foil mid and maybe somebody could make a measurement using the same distance/settings of their unmodified IIIa mid, and we could compare that. I think it would be interesting and instructive. It could also be compared to the BG waterfall but it isn't all that easy to compare waterfalls, since the plot you get depends very much on how you do the measurement, e.g., if you go for more time resolution you get less frequency resolution. Also, a waterfall of a single Neo isn't strictly comparable to a waterfall of a line of Neo's, because in any large line source measured in the near field you get delayed arrivals from distant parts of the line and that smears an up close measurement. It's also very difficult to get a good waterfall from a large line source, if you set the gate long enough to get the measurement you start getting room reflections which screw up the measurement. They really have to be measured in an anechoic chamber or suspending in a gym or outside. Also, freq response of a single Neo is very different from freq response of a line of them, though there are some measurements of Neo lines online if you do a search.

For Foobar, all you need is a convolver. As you say, I think there's a free one available. The trick lies in generating the filter impulse response to use with it. I'm not sure what's out there for free that would be practical to use.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: IIIa Foil Project Sucess! - josh358 19:30:48 06/18/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.