Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: IIIa Foil Project Sucess!

I think room correction software is necessary for just about any room, unless it's bass trapped up the wazoo and even then. But I agree, with a Frankenpan system it's doubly necessary. Being able to improve the bass and use high slope crossovers is just the icing on the cake.

I think I'd reserve the 1-D tweeters for eventual use in a surround system. In the meantime, I'd use the 1-D woofers as subs up to maybe 80 or 100 Hz, then go to the IIIa woofers, mid, and tweeter. That of course would require a four way. Then, eventually, you could get Neo-8's for your mids and move the IIIa woofers and 1-D tweeters to surround duty. Of course, that would require eight channels of conversion, which rules out the Lynx, but it looks like the RME's can do it.

Or you could use a passive crossover from the mid to tweeter if the levels are close enough.

96 kHz is fine, it isn't even certain that you can hear the difference between it and 192. And you want 24 bits, of course. The problem is, these specs tell you nothing about how a converter will sound. The problems they have are subtler and not all will show up in the specs. You have to rely on listening experience to know which converters sound good -- and since you can't go to your local stereo store to listen, rely as much as you can on the experience of others. Unfortunately, that can be a chancy proposition, since few have actually compared these cards in good circumstances. I spent a lot of time doing searches online to get an impression, and didn't find terribly much. If you're thinking of buying a card or rack, I think your best bet for getting useful information on sound quality is to ask in the PC Audio Asylum. There are usually a few people who have experience and can help you out with their impressions. But I think we should keep this in perspective -- both Lynx and RME will have excellent sound. Even the semi-pro cards will sound pretty good.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.