Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: In the wings... MMG LWingies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Hi Rickey! Happily, yes, that's what the Stixbees are. These are 1x2x42 [3/4 x 1 1/2 x 42" real, on first version] hardwood sticks that reinforce the frame but can be covered by the same cloth.

The original Stixbees set (red oak) is being replaced by a new set made of bulletwood. The new one is 7/8 x 1 1/2 x 53 1/2. The additional length is used as legs to lift the MMGs up about 5.5". Lifting them is needed here because the LWingies boost the bottom bass too much when on the floor. So, I "bleed off" some bottom bass while still achieving a desired boost in the 100hz-250hz range.

In addition, the bulletwood Stixbees are twice as stiff as the red oak Stixbees. In theory, I could see a slight improvement in dynamics. We'll see.

Today I compared the Plain Frame MMG vs them with the original red oak Stixbees. This was just to confirm findings almost 2 years ago. On pink noise, the red oak Stixbees gain 3dbs over the plain frame when the MMGs are standing straight on the floor. These Stixbees also show a significant gain when playing dynamic music. I am just trying to quantify a little of what I hear. In reality, the benefits are easy to hear at various levels when playing music. BTW, the differences were even larger before the MMGs were Razored.

Anyway, "a nagging wife is the mother of invention"...says a beer-loaded cheap philosopher...now on his way back to his mug :-))

Follow Ups: