Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Sound coming from outside of the soundstage

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

An example with a box speaker. "Hell Freezes Over" CD, The Eagles.

The rendition of Hotel California, in concert, has many charms in my system. I use its first minute or so as part of my core test music.

Among these charms, the audience extends outside the walls behind the MMGs but some of their applause and some of the whistling hails from above and behind me at the sitting position.

At a friend's, his B&W 802D speakers do pretty much the same. While the audience behind the speakers is not as deep, from behind and above me I hear a similar surround effect in stereo.

OTOH, what the 802Ds cannot replicate there is the soundstage depth and layering that I get between the MMGs and their behind-the-wall far end, as I get at home. Within this soundstage at home, each player and instrument has a 3D position and none of it comes from the MMGs or anything in between them.

I wish the 802D were not so heavy becasue I'd be curious to see how much of my room config makes for the great imaging I get. These B&W, for being boxes, do very good imaging despite their current placement restrictions in my friend's family room.

Follow Ups: