Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: Shifting instruments and room layout

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

OK it's been a while but now it's time. Some BIG changes since I last posted this. First is the whole new setup: http://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=mug&m=186815

I took the big panels down from the corners. I placed one sideways under the window, at an angle to hopefully get bass bouncing out from the corner. I did the same with the other panel behind the TV.

I pulled the TV out to match the speakers. I moved the speakers wider.

Still had some issues. Then the big one (thanks Satie! (I think it was Satie in another thread)):

I unplugged the subwoofer and the woofers. I took a track with just a violin and a piano and, using audacity, deleted one of the tracks. The image was perfectly centered. Then I plugged the woofers back in and unplugged the tweeters. The image was WAAY left. I bumped up the gain on the right woofer until it was centered.

It was like wearing someone else's prescription and then putting your own glasses back on. I didn't really how smeared the imaging really was. I could tell a little bit, but now I can't believe I was able to stand it. It also explains perfectly why Peter Gabriel would pace back and forth while singing - the image depended on what notes he was singing... the lower he sang, the more he strolled off to the left. Also, ear fatigue went from moderate-low to near-non existent at loud levels. (Neighbors probably won't appreciate this tweak). Last, the background seems a lot "blacker."

So the only issue now, is I'm noticing a lot of the imaging is up above the TV. I don't know if the TV is blocking the reflection at ear level, or if it's the panels at the same height, a combination, or something else entirely. It's mildly bothersome.

Big thanks to you all!

Follow Ups: