Planar Speaker Asylum

RE: center channel

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] Thread: [ Display  All  Email ] [ Planar Speaker Asylum ]

This Post Has Been Edited by the Author

Joe, this is not a normal approach, just something that worked grandly for me despite being my only choice. It probably is not practical for you because, if you had the space, you probably would have separated the Maggies from the walls long ago. Anyway, here it goes in case it helps:

My MMGs are 4ft away from the wall behind them, and 2ft from the sides (room 12x25). What is not "normal accepted practice" is that the equipment rack AND the flat TV are in the middle between the Maggies. It was not a choice, it had to be that way, for which I am kind of lucky.

Aside from other virtues that I discovered with this forced positioning, a center speaker is not needed here. In fact, I no longer have one. I watch movies in surround mode but tell the Denon receiver that there is no center. Works like charm. For stereo music, the center is solid and as deep as it is behind the speaker & outer sides. The whole back wall is erased along with all the hardware, including the Maggies. The side walls often do a similar stealth act.

This applies as long as the TV is at the same plane or very slightly behind the plane of the MMGs. The equipment rack on which it rests is open on the back (though I added a thin perforated insulation for bass/imaging fine tuning).

At first, I had doubts that this setup was what caused the great center I enjoy, along with other goodies. In the past couple of years, in other places, trying it has never failed to deliver a solid center for Maggies. I am not talking about a phantom center or a floating center. This is just as solid as if it came from a Maggie; and with as much depth of imaging.

Follow Ups: