Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: looking at the ad

Wilson sells a lot of speakers, but a lot of people maintain that there are better speakers for the money.

Magnepan is almost a contradiction in terms -- a value high end speaker manufacturer. While most high end companies think in terms of the best sound possible, Magnepan thinks in terms of amazing sound on a budget. That's central to their philosphy, and, I think, central to their success -- because who in his right mind wouldn't choose the speaker that's the equal of speakers several times its price?

In a sense, they're the speaker for the rest of us. Most high end manufacturers sell a handful of speakers, Magnepan has sold 200,000.

I think Magnepan is counting here on the ability of their product to compete sonically with a much more expensive one. The two companies aren't really in commercial competition with one another: the Maggies cost $3700 and the Wisdoms $100,000 a pair, so they're selling into different markets. Those with $100,000 in cash will walk away saying "Whoa, I can get a speaker that does 130 dB SPL," and those with $3,700 will walk away saying "Whoa, those Maggies may not go quite as deep or play quite as loud as the Wisdoms, but where they play they sound as good." It's a gutsy move that to me suggests faith in their product -- how many manufacturers would invite people to compare their $3700 system with a competitor's $100,000 one?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.