Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Fine exercise but instead...

LOL! Oh, no no no, my friend, no electronic EQ...the good ones are digital, ergo, a PCM conversion...I'd rather keep SACD/DSD in the analog domain right after the initial D/A conversion. (Ok, sure, I'll go see the shrink one of these days :-)) )

Despite the above, at first I thought that an electronic EQ approach would be fine for Red Book upsampled material fed from the PC. So, I tried a few PC-based EQ programs. In the end, I found that the more I cleaned the PC install that runs cPlay, the more I disliked the EQ proggies, or any addons, for that matter. The one that gave the best results here was Electri-Q VST, though there may be better ones).

As it was, the EQ programs were not really helping the 100-250hz range much anyway. If I tried to compensate, I wound up with loss of clarity, even bloat. I think there is an original-model MMG-behavioral thing involved. Mine are like the Model-T of this line. One starts pushing more signal energy into this range and they don't behave in a linear fashion. In any event, I did not have any issues after 300hz. It can be rather ruler flat to 20khz if I reduce corner treatment and re-tune the PLLXO xover - so I dropped the idea. Which does not mean that it is a closed issue, one never knows.

Thankfully, like you said, the brain compensates. The 3+db average gain in the weak zone that I got via the Lwingies was just the ticket...though it took time to tune for it without over-boosting the low bass or messing up other good things.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.