Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Maggie stacked center

I haven't seen a naked picture either, so I'm not familiar with the layout. If it's like the floor-standers, the tweeter segment is to one side to minimize IM. So you could do what you want, but you'd still get some vertical lobing and impaired vertical dispersion, both in the highs and quite possibly the midrange as well.

The rule is always that the dimension of the driver has to be < 1 wavelength or the driver will start to beam in that direction.

The MTM arrangement is a good one, but driver size, spacing, crossover design, and height are all taken into account when designing an MTM speaker. An MTM speaker will be designed to throw its lobe forward, it's inherently symmetrical. Center speakers are below the screen, so you'd be at an angle from the main lobe with results that could vary depending on crossover slopes and driver size. I'm guessing that Magnepan chose its crossover to optimize response a bit off axis, taking into account the fact that the listener will be listening above the midrange/tweeter axis.

Unless someone can fill you in on the basis of personal experience, I still think your best course is to ask Wendell. Otherwise, you could just try it, but with no guarantee that it will work. Also, what about the tri center? All you'd have to do is add two wall-mounts on either side. My understanding is that this eliminates the "bow tie" effect that comes from using a center channel speaker below the screen, while maintaining the center image stability from having a physical driver there and improving the perception of layering and depth.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.