Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Magnepan MG 1.7 or "old" 3.6R

You know, Tyu, this reminds me of something that I heard on my 3rd (and best) audition of the 3.7s. Before I describe it, let me say that while thunderous bass was not in evidence, I never found it underwhelming. It was more on the natural side than on the overly impressive side.

That said, here a curious thing. At times, in some passages of music that I use all the time with my MMGs and with some good boxes regularly...the 3.7s threw a "bass surprise". This was like reaching down to frequencies that are out of their expected range. It was not very strong, just well rounded, resounding and delightfully proper.

That day we went back to a friend's home and I played these same passages on his B&W 802D, on which I could not remember ever hearing these bottom notes. To my surprise, we had to turn on the subwoofer before we could replicate something of similar intensity on some. There were other passages where the 802Ds made it happen just fine but less "sweetly". Of course, on most material outside these examples, the 802Ds are more dynamic, but not like it used to be compared with older Maggies.

My net take was that given enough power, a proper room config and sufficient break-in time, the 3.7s would likely surprise many people with their low reach.

LOL! Pipe organs are still not going to do their best lows on 3.7s.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.