Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Interesting question - hopefully you will get more input than mine. :-)) ...

It's pure speculation. The 3.7 reportedly uses flat foil (QR) rather than round wire for the bass and mid-driver. Whether this is a big advantage or not, I can't say. I would expect that foil would eliminate the problem with delamination - has anyone had their 1.6 tweeters delam? Intuitively it would seem that having the drivers designed the same would make for better integration but I don't know if having both foil is any better than having them both with round wire. Integration with the tweeter may be better with the QR drivers but I don't know that.
The other feature of the 3.7 is the use of 1st order xo's which have lots of theoretical advantages over other types of filters. The downside is a shallow slope so the drivers extend beyond the normal bounds. However the Maggie drivers have quite a good range and don't suffer from edge effects, etc. like cones, so this is a minor drawback.
Biamping 3.6's and doing some other tweaks definitely improves their already prodigous sound. Biamping is tricky but if you get the slopes and crossover correct, then the gains are significant and the sound is going to be hard to beat.
The question then remains how much bang do you get for your buck. Modifying 3.6's by either triamping or rebuilding the internal xo and biamping and building new frames and stands is going to be close to the price range of the new 3.7's. If you get the 3.7's you can push them further later on with wood frames (they cannot be multi-amped) and better crossover components.
Bottom line, you won't go wrong either way. If it were me, I would go with the 3.7's and plan on moding them down the road. OTOH when I was contemplating replacing my IIb's with to be modified IIIa's or stock 3.6's, I went with the IIIa's.

"Our head is round in order to allow our thoughts to change direction." Francis Picabia

Edits: 03/19/12

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.