Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: Thank you for auditioning these top-end speakers for me and ...

So are you saying the Sophias, Sashas, Totems and Focal speakers didn't impress you by having a whole lot more bass?

Correct. Truth be told, I was expecting much more bass, at least by the order of magnitude. Nothing like that happened in any of the demos so far. The bass I've been haring from those boxed speakers is pretty much on par, volume and warmth-wise, with what I'm getting out of my Maggies. Often times (as with some top line Focals) the bass sounded artificially heightened. For example, the bass on the Beatles "Magical Mystery Tour" sounded ridiculously boomy and in full bloom, totally flooding the room in an almost comical fashion, and it didn't really convey the famous 'Beatles' sound at all. I remember returning home after that demo and playing the same track right away, and being shocked hearing how much more natural McCartney's bass sounded on Maggies. No hype, no fuss, no muss, just honest to god electric bass guitar that meshes beautifully with Ringo's drums, driving the band the way Mother Nature intended. With Focals, instead of driving the band in service of music, McCartney's bass sounded annoyingly show-offish.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: Thank you for auditioning these top-end speakers for me and ... - magiccarpetride 11:38:56 03/19/12 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.