Home Planar Speaker Asylum

Welcome! Need support, you got it. Or share your ideas and experiences.

RE: New but old. MMG question.

Yes, though I have to qualify this. I have been very lucky. The mods to my MMGs, relative to this room, and thanks to the help from people here, have yielded a high performing system, given its modest cost. To be sure, the ability to measure in-room response has been key in tuning things properly.

The net result is that at its very top end, these MMGs tweeters are just shy of ribbon tweeters. At the other end, their low frequency is so good that I can live without turning on the subwoofer for most music. They are fairly dynamic, as these things go, and manage to "hit" me with some upper bass passages and even shake my sofa a little with the lower notes. Imaging-wise, I pinch myself all the time. As a total system, it is very enjoyable...and this is with MMGs that I bought used but that were built over a decade ago. Again, I am lucky that our gang here helped me along.

The only speaker that I've heard do these things as good as, or far better is the 3.7. Keep in mind that this has always been in demo rooms and with different power amps each time. I have yet to hear them in a room fully optimized for them. So, the full potential of 3.7s must be awesome...even well before I get the itch to mod them (a genetic defect of mine).

Great as the 1.7s are, no matter what I did, I would still be short of the ribbon tweeter performance. So, I am skipping them and waiting for the time when I can afford the 3.7s.

Now, if in the meantime I found a very cheap set of 1.7s to modify them, I'd be tempted...even though this is still largely uncharted territory. :-))

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.